VNC (an abbreviation for Virtual Network Computing) is a great client/server software package allowing remote network access to graphical desktops. With VNC, you can access your machine from everywhere provided that your machine is connected to the Internet.
TightVNC, which includes a lot of new features, improvements, optimizations and bugfixes over the original VNC version, see the list of features below. Note that TightVNC is being actively developed so you can expect TightVNC will become even better.
- Here is a brief list of TightVNC features absent in the standard VNC.
- Local cursor handling. Cursor movements do not generate screen updates any more, remote cursor movements are processed locally by the viewer, so you do not see remote cursor pointer moving too slow behind the local cursor.
- Efficient compression algorithms. New Tight encoding is optimized for slow and medium-speed connections and thus generates much less traffic as compared to traditional VNC encodings. At the same time, TightVNC supports all the standard VNC encodings, so it can operate efficiently over fast networks, too. Thus, with TightVNC you can work remotely almost in real time in most network environments.
- Configurable compression levels. You can choose any appropriate level of compromise between compression ratios and coding speed, depending on your connection speed and processor power.
- Optional JPEG compression. If you don't care too much about perfect image quality, you can enable JPEG compression which will compress the color-rich screen areas much more efficiently (and image quality level is configurable too).
- Operating under Unix and Windows. All new features listed above are available in both the Unix and Win32 versions of TightVNC.
- Advanced Properties dialog in WinVNC. Unlike the standard VNC, TightVNC gives you the possibility of setting a number of advanced settings directly from the WinVNC GUI, and to apply changed settings immediately. There is no need to launch regedit to set query options, connection priority, to allow loopback connections, disable HTTP server etc.
- Security and reliability fixes.
- Automatic SSH tunneling on Unix. The Unix version of TightVNC viewer can tunnel connections via SSH automatically using local SSH or OpenSSH client installation.
- And more. TightVNC features a number of other improvements, performance optimizations and bugfixes.
Related Free Software from Misc. Network Applications category:
Internet Sharing 2.0.0
Turn System into WiFi Router & share internet to Wifi Enable Devices "Internet Sharing " software is built to share your System (PC/Laptop) Lan, Wi-Fi , Dialup(3G,4G)…
TamoSoft Throughput Test v.1.0 Build 27
amoSoft Throughput Test is a utility for testing the performance of a wireless or wired network. This utility continuously sends TCP and UDP data streams across your…
Essential NetTools v.4.4
Essential NetTools is a set of network scanning, security, and administrator tools useful in diagnosing networks and monitoring your computer's network connections.…
Wireshark v. 1.12.3.
Wireshark is the world's foremost network protocol analyzer. It lets you see what's happening on your network at a microscopic level. It is the de facto (and often de…
NetworkActiv Listen-Listen is a special-purpose port forwarding utility. It runs as a two-sided server where TCP clients that connect to one side can communicate with…
GlassWire displays your network activity on an easy to understand graph while searching for unusual Internet behavior that could indicate malware or violations of your…
A ping GUI utillity for windows with logging capabillities
Needs to be run as Administrator.
TechString is a free software utility that you can download to perform simple networking tasks such as multi-pinging, website monitoring, network scanning, proxy…
Myports 2011 2.01.03
MyPOrts 2011 is a program specifically designed to inspect system TCP ports and find open ones.
The program displays local port and Address, remote port and address…
Wireless Network Watcher v1.05
Wireless Network Watcher is a small utility that scans your wireless network and displays the list of all computers and devices that are currently connected to your…